• Tuesday, 25 June 2024
Kenyans were killed, shot, and disappeared as they awaited the results of the presidential election.

Kenyans were killed, shot, and disappeared as they awaited the results of the presidential election.

Shootings, deaths, mysterious disappearances, and arrests marred the recently concluded elections, as Kenyans returned to their normal lives both before and after the presidential election result was announced.

Mr. Daniel Musyoka, the returning officer for the Embakasi East constituency, is still mourned by his family. He went missing on August 11, and his body was discovered four days later in Loitoktok, Kajiado County.

Homicide detectives on the case told the Saturday Nation yesterday that they are trying to figure out the identity of a woman who spoke to Mr. Musyoka at an entertainment joint in Tassia, Embakasi, and a mysterious caller at 3 p.m. on the day he vanished.

The Nation has learned that Mr. Musyoka, who was assigned to the constituency in April ahead of the elections, was persuaded to leave the tallying center by a familiar face.

Mr. Musyoka can be seen conversing with a lady in front of an entertainment joint in El Toro, Tassia, on CCTV footage that is likely to provide detectives with a lead. The location is only a few meters from the exit gate through which the IEBC official exited the tallying center.

He is also said to have had a meeting with one of his clerks there. His last phone signal was traced to Mihango before the phone was turned off. He is said to have called someone via WhatsApp and had a brief conversation with them before the phone went dead.

Person missing
Masai Makau, the commander of the Embakasi sub-county police, said the case had already been transferred to Loitoktok, where his body was discovered. As a result, the only case they were dealing with was that of a missing person.

Meanwhile, in the Eldas constituency, a presiding officer, Mr. Mohamed Kanyare, was shot on election day by unknown people and had his leg amputated. Mr. Kanyare presided over the Towheed polling station in the Elnur/Tula Tula ward.

On August 14, two IEBC employees were apprehended by people claiming to be police officers in Kenya's Bomas. No one knew where Gideon Balang, the tin charger in charge of electoral operations, and his driver Julian Radiro were for nearly nine hours. They were later released without being charged and with no explanation for their arrest.

IEBC CEO Hussein Marjan did not respond to our questions about the arrests yesterday, but chairman Wafula Chebukati lamented the harassment of commission members and staff on Thursday.


"The commission is concerned that some of its critical staff, who performed their duties objectively and impartially at the National Tallying Centre, are being intimidated and harassed through profiling and/or arbitrary arrests."

This has caused fear among the employees, who are now unable to report to the office for duty. "This harassment must end immediately," Mr. Chebukati said.


Mr. Chebukati, commissioners Prof Abdi Guliye, and Boya Molu, and Mr. Marjan were also evacuated from the National Tallying Centre on Monday, the day the IEBC announced the presidential results.


Mr. Chebukati used allegations of harassment of commission members and staff to postpone the governor's elections in Kakamega and Mombasa counties, among other electoral areas where polls had been postponed due to ballot paper mix-ups.


In Bungoma County, Kimilili MP Didmus Barasa remains detained as investigations into the shooting death of Brian Olunga, an aide to the MP, continue.

Meanwhile, an ODM politician who went missing on Wednesday from her Nanyuki Townhome in Laikipia County has been found safe in Nairobi.

Ms. Hawa Yusuf, the county ODM coordinator, had left her phone at home, saying she was going to see a neighbor at 11 a.m., but she never returned, causing concern among family and friends. After being unable to locate her, her family reported the incident to the Nanyuki Police Station, and an investigation was launched.


Share on