Residents of Kayole left homeless after their houses were demolished
- Published By Jedida Barasa For The Statesman Digital
- 1 year ago
Dozens of families in Nyamavilla, a settlement in Nairobi’s Kayole estate, have been left homeless following a series of demolitions that began early Monday morning.
The demolitions stem from a long-standing land dispute, dating back to 2002, between a real estate company and individuals who are alleged to be occupying the land illegally.
The operation unfolded swiftly, with bulldozers tearing through stone walls and pillars, leaving residents helpless and unable to salvage their belongings.
Many families were caught off guard, witnessing the destruction in despair.
One of the affected individuals, a Kenyan Defense Forces (KDF) veteran, traveled overnight in an attempt to protect his property.
He shared his story, explaining that he had invested his retirement savings into the land, only to later discover it was part of the disputed property.
“I didn’t know these plots were part of a development project when I purchased them. I invested all my savings here to live out my retirement, but now everything is gone,” he said.
Bishop Josiah, who had rented a house in the area for the past two months, returned from a trip for a burial on Monday to find his home being demolished.
“I just arrived this morning only to realize my house was being destroyed. I had no idea about the ongoing legal dispute. Now, I’ve lost everything,” he said, visibly distressed.
Jackline Ikoa recounted a harrowing escape when the demolitions began. “We had to run for our lives. The bulldozer was right next to my bed, and I almost didn’t make it. We left everything behind, my children and I,” she said, her voice trembling.
Nominated Member of County Assembly (MCA) Joy Mwangi arrived to defend the residents, but by then, it was too late. She expressed frustration, stating that the affected families had only recently been informed about the dispute and had been given little time to vacate.
“The houses were built only months ago, and we were given a notice. I thank God I wasn’t affected,” she said.
The conflict between the real estate company and the residents remains unresolved.
The company is continuing with the demolitions, claiming that many of the occupants have failed to settle payments for the land as per prior agreements.
This latest wave of demolitions comes after a similar action was halted in 2018 following an intervention by former President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Share on
Tags
SHARE YOUR COMMENT
MORE STORIES FOR YOU
Trending Stories
DJ Mo’s former illicit lo...
- Published By Jane
- January 15, 2024
Mapenzi! Zari and Tanasha...
- Published By Jane
- October 24, 2023
Zuchu Speaks on Diamond P...
- Published By Jane
- October 12, 2023
Hio Ni Upumbavu Wasituche...
- Published By Jane
- November 8, 2023
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Revealed: Inside Cyrus Ji...
- Published By The
- January 1, 2026
P2 Explained: How Postino...
- Published By The
- January 1, 2026
How To Choose Best School...
- Published By The
- January 1, 2026
Sperm Donation: Important...
- Published By The
- January 1, 2026
Latest Stories
How Njugush And Celestine...
- Published By The
- April 22, 2026
Government To Introduce M...
- Published By The
- April 22, 2026
Inspekta Mwala Sues Coca-...
- Published By The
- April 22, 2026
Aspirin Can Reduce The Ri...
- Published By The
- April 22, 2026

